Why is it so important to have a great subject line?
Think of subject lines like the headline of a newspaper article. If it grabs you, you start to read. Furthermore it is the only thing people see in an email. It is what they are going to use to determine if they go any further down your email or if they are even going to open it. It is the only thing that differentiates your email from all of the others.
Do you ever find yourself using these?
Hi! (This sounds like spam.)
Hey there…(this sounds like pornography.)
What’s up? (Come on, you can do better than that!)
Check this out…(Yep, more spam.)
(No subject) (This is lazy and annoying.)
A different approach to subject lines is to use them to entice the reader.
12 exciting subject lines that will get your email opened. I think these are excellent for personal emails:
- Have you seen this article about your company yet?
- I saw something that made me think of you…
- I sure hope you’ve already seen this…
- I thought of you when I read this…
- I thought of you when I saw this…
- I was thinking about you the other day.
- I was thinking about your business the other day.
- Someone paid you a compliment yesterday.
- I blogged about you the other day…
- When I saw this, I immediately thought of you.
- Your ears should be ringing…
- Your name came up in a conversation recently…
The Golden Rule
The golden rule of email subject lines according to Josh Nason of
SendLabs is: Use your name (or company name if it will have more impact)
- Use your name (or company name if it will have more impact)
- Do not use all caps in a subject line.
- Write a compelling subject line that won’t deceive people.
- Have some fun with subject lines!
For an in depth discussion on getting cold emails opened visit this podcast.