You’ve heard this one a million times, but it’s true. You have only 7-10 seconds when first meeting someone to make a favorable impression.
Lets talk about what that means.
To refine and polish your first impression, there are several things to remember:
- Do your homework ahead of time and find out what your prospect’s behavioral style is and, if appropriate, something about the person that you can ask about.
- Where appropriate, send a note or call in advance to confirm the appointment.
- Be on time.
- Dress properly for the occasion, but err on the side of being overdressed.
- Use their name when introduced. (A person’s name is their most favorite word plus it will help you remember it later).
- Match their handshake and frequency of eye contact. Remember, body language is 55% of rapport. • Be aware of appropriate distance, usually 4-5 feet for Drivers and Analytical styles, and 3-4 feet for Amiable and Socializer behavioral styles.
- Stand erect leaning in slightly. Too upright is often interpreted as confrontational and can be intimidating.
And don’t forget to smile.